|Home|
  • |About Me|
  • |Blog Designs|

Wednesday, November 12

Winter Blues

Ty has diagnosed me with seasonal affective disorder, aka the winter blues. We have both been really tired lately. Monday after dinner I seriously could have gone to bed. I stayed on the couch all night. I left a huge amount of dishes in the sink because the dishwasher was full of clean dishes and I was too tired/lazy to unload them. Last night was a little bit better. Probably because I made myself get up and bake some banana nut bread. I had been meaning to make it all weekend.

For those that want to know here is the definition of seasonal affective disorder from Wikipedia,
"Seasonal affective disorder (SAD), also known as winter depression or winter blues, is a mood disorder in which people who have normal mental health throughout most of the year experience depressive symptoms in the winter or, less frequently, in the summer,[1] repeatedly, year after year. The US National Library of Medicine notes that "some people experience a serious mood change when the seasons change. They may sleep too much, have little energy, and crave sweets and starchy foods."

I don't really have this but it sure fits what I have been feeling the last several days. Although, I always crave sweets and starchy foods! I think we all experience this a little bit when the seasons change to Fall/Winter. Nuts has been lounging around in front of Ty's space heater in Ty's office. That little dog won't move for hours. He is so content to just lay there and be warm. It has been so gloomy here lately. I sure hope the sun decides to make an appearance this week. I discovered that baking helps me get through this 'blue' period. My house smelled so good last night with that bread cooking in my oven. What do you do to get yourself out of the sleepy/lazy funk of winter blues?

I do have something positive to write about at least for people in my area...Gas is $1.75! It only took $22.69 to fill up my tank last night!!

14 comments:

  1. I get the winter blahs to..ugh.
    Girl, I am so stinkin' excited about the lower gas prices..but I am wondering how long it will last..

    ReplyDelete
  2. i totally get the way too in the winter. However, it usually doesn't happen until after the holidays are over! Baking helps me too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get the winter blues too! I think that I'm too busy this winter to get them, but I definitely get them. And YAY for gas prices! I'm SO excited that they are getting so low.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, Lindsey (Pleasant Drive) always said she had SADS in college after daylight savings hit. It was hilarious. I always LOVE this cozy time of year, but a lot of my friends hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get the winter blues too...my house seems to stay dirtier than normal and my laundrey piles up!!! What I do is take a couple of days off then get going again :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get the same way a lot in the winter back east too! It's definitely cozy comfy sometimes and other times I just want that sun to come out and stay out! Wow $1.75 for gas, that's incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get like that somteimes after the time change. My hubby has been a lot like that recenty, he could just fall asleep after we we eat dinner. And I totally feel you on not doing dishes, ugh! That is my least favorite chore!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So good to know other people get the winter blues! I get a very bad case every year but then Spring comes and I am beyond happy all the time and need to be outside constantly! I think this may have something to do with growing up in the South...I just love warm weather! Have a good day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't get the winter blues until about January...NYC can get SO depressing in Jan/Feb because its just dark (by 4 pm) and collllld. In Nov. and Dec. it is dark, but everyone is in the cheerful/holiday mood. In order to break myself out of the funk, I try to make everything "cozy"...if I'm going to be locked in the house I might as well do it up right with comfy PJ, comfort food, and a feel-good movie watched cuddled up next to the boy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh i do the same thing!! since the time change, i have woken up to early or slept in to late!! i take a long time to adjust to it!! O GOSH!!! $1.75!!! ridiculous!!!!!!!! i love these prices!! in winston salem, the price is still $2.15 although tha is a BIG change from $4!!
    -Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  11. i hear you on the blues...its hard not to when it gets dark at 4:30!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know the winter affects me because I dread January and February. I just get through it somehow!

    Yep, gas prices are giving my budget a little breathing room.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm lovin' the gas prices too! Ours aren't $1.75 yet though! What state are you in?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was diagnosed with SADD a long time ago, one thing that I can count on helping me not experience the symptoms as much is exercise. I often have to force myself to do it (b/c I feel so sleepy so early), but if I make myself do it I feel so much better. Hope you get some sunshine-y weather soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...