|Home|
  • |About Me|
  • |Blog Designs|

Wednesday, May 1

quack, quack

Yesterday evening I took Jack on a walk around the neighborhood, while Ty did some reading for residency. Jack is enamored with the fountains in the ponds, while I am always on the look out for the fish and ducks. We have four ducks that have taken up residence in our ponds this spring. One of them has 10-12 ducklings and they are the cutest things. I say 10-12 because it is hard to count those things!

Last night toward the end of our walk I saw the ducks and ducklings. As we got closer to them I could see they were hanging out in the parking spaces by the entrance to our neighborhood. I could only see 4 ducklings, so I assumed the rest had left for life on their own. (I know nothing about how long ducklings stay with their momma.) We walked past them and I saw them heading toward the pond, and one by one the ducklings dropped through the drainage grate into the drainage ditch. I was devastated. The ducklings were quacking. The mama duck was walking around lost quacking for her babies. It was awful.

I went inside the house and told Ty all about it. Being the kind man he is, he volunteered to walk down there and check things out. I don't think he was very confident about actually rescuing them. After some investigating, he realized he could lift the grate up and use a net to scoop them out. Thankfully, we have some nets in our attic from "crab hunting" on beach vacations.

Our neighbor volunteered to help Ty and luckily Ty has long arms and was able to save all 10-12 ducklings! I guess that is why I only saw four on our walk. The others had fallen in earlier in the day.

The momma duck was so happy to have her babies back!

I snapped pictures on my phone while holding Jack. Not the best quality, but I couldn't miss out on the opportunity to capture the moment.

The sad momma duck wandering around quacking for her babies.
Ducks

Lifting the heavy grates
Ducks

scooping out the babies
Ducks

Ducks

Ducks

freedom!
Ducks

Reunited and heading toward the pond!
Ducks

The momma duck took off swimming in the pond with only half of her babies. Ty released the others into the pond and they swam after her.
Ducks

Ducks

Ducks

Ducks

That man of mine. He is a good egg.




11 comments:

  1. How very sweet! Glad the ducks were reunited with their momma. Your husband is most definitely a good egg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness you saw them fall in or the poor things wouldn't have made it! And yes, your husband is a good one, so sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to get this book for Jack! It is that exact story! http://www.amazon.com/Lucky-Ducklings-Eva-Moore/dp/0439448611

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor things! Thank goodness you could help them!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet!!! (Although I pretty much hate ducks, the babies are so so sweet and fluffy!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the sweetest story! Glad you guys got them out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh so sweet!! So glad the babies got back to their momma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohmygosh - this is so sweet. SO glad you guys were able to save the ducklings and reunite them with their momma!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness that is the sweetest thing ever. That momma will always remember y'all. Unless ducks have like 5 minute memory span or something. In that case she loved y'all in that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sweet of you both to hell that momma. Her anguish! Lucky ducks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...