|Home|
  • |About Me|
  • |Blog Designs|

Tuesday, August 10

summer veggies

I hate that it feels like summer is over. The stores are full of fall clothes and while I can't wait to buy new clothes or for the weather to get cool, I realize that we have two solid months of HOT weather. So, part of me feels like this post is kinda late, but that is just silly! Enough jibber jabber.

The last time I was home my mom had this big box of corn from my great uncle's farm. Yum, yum!
IMG_4992
I took several ears home with me and was telling her about this yummy butter recipe I had found in a Cooking Light cookbook. I thought I would share it with you all in case you have a big box of corn in your house or maybe just a few ears.

Chili-Lime Corn on the Cob
Ingredients:
4 ears shucked corn
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp grated lime rind (I just used lime juice--I realize its not quite the same thing, but close enough.)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
1. Place corn in a microwave-safe dish; cover dish with wax paper. Microwave at high for 7 min or until tender.
2. Place butter in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave 15 seconds or until butter melts.
3. Stir in chili powder, lime rind, salt and pepper.
4. Brush butter mixture evenly over cooked corn.

IMG_4991


If you have a kitchen full of other veggies or just want to take advantage of all the fresh goodness, then you must make this:
tostadas-ck-1215924-l
picture from Cooking Light

I found this recipe on Kate's blog. She adapted it from Cooking Light and it is oh so good!
It has become a regular in my rotation.

I bring my lunch to work almost every day. I discovered the best pre-made salad at Target.
salad

It can be found in the deli coolers and is Archer Farms. The salad contains strawberries, blueberries, grilled chicken and goat cheese with poppy seed dressing.
Target was out of it last weekend and I thought I was going to cry. It is that good.

18 comments:

  1. This sounds really great, I will have to make it. Gotta love the free corn. I so wish I could grow my own veggies and fruits. Love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love corn on the cob and this sounds so yummy! Definitely saving this recipe! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The corn recipe looks delicious. Nathan loves corn on the cob, so we will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may have to try the chili-lime corn concoction! It looks YUM-O!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make that salad at home all the time...its one of our summer faves! So good!

    I've heard that chili lime corn is really good and I saw the recipe in Cooking Light. I may have to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That corn sounds yummy - and different than my usual boring butter and salt! I'll have to try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That salad looks amazing!!! It might have (MIGHT HAVE) convinced me to stay inside the office when I worked. Can you imagine?? HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As if I don't already love Target enough - goat cheese and berries on a salad! Sounds like a dream. My Target just got groceries so I am going to check it out! And the corn sounds amazing. Thanks for the healthy tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Must.try.the.salad. I feel so in the dark! I have a love affair with Target and cannot believe he would keep this from me!

    Cracking up at the corn...I have never seen that much in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like how all of the fall stuff is out now, but I do like how by the time you actually need to buy fall clothes you can already buy it on sale because they have their winter clothes out. That salad looks great, I wish we had a target close by...maybe someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. mmmm, I love corn on the cob! that sounds so yummy! and that salad... looks. so. good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post reminds me, I never did a post on our Sweet Corn Sales this year! Maybe it's not too late...I don't know maybe so.

    I am so proud/jealous of you that you actually take your lunch to work. First of all, I think it would save me a ton of money and I wish I could force myself to do it. But I hate being stuck inside the building all day long. It makes me crazy and my day super long. We need a picnic area or something.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That salad looks so good! I'm going to have to look for one at my Target. I get a pre-made one at my local grocery store every week that is similar. It has a mix of greens, dried cranberries, walnuts, bleu cheese, and balsamic vinaigrette dressing. I also feel so let-down if I get there and they're out of them.

    I also love fresh, summer corn. I usually put it on the grill, but that recipe looks great. I'm going to have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG, I LOVE that salad from Target!! I buy it on a regular basis--it's so, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Target has the best stuff! I get their premade things all the time because they are so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG! That is almost the EXACT salad that I'm obsessed with right now at Panera! Go try it! It's the strawberry poppyseed chicken salad! You will die it's so good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...