|Home|
  • |About Me|
  • |Blog Designs|

Friday, April 23

recent reads

My recent reads or in some cases recent listens:

I still haven't seen the movie, but I really enjoyed the book. I had heard mixed messages about the The Loveley Bones and I'm glad I decided to give it a try for myself. It was a great listen!
I had heard great things about this book, American Wife, through the blogvine*.
I listened to it as well and it started a little slow, I enjoyed the middle, and the end seemed to drag. But that could have been because I was listening to it, instead of reading it. I know a lot of people liked it, so I think it is worth a shot if you are interested.


This book, Loving Frank, appeared in a People magazine a year or two ago and I filed it away in mind. I was looking for a book for my DC trip and came across this at Target. I was excited to read it, because Frank Lloyd Wright had an impact here in Oklahoma.
It was an interesting read and very different from my usual chick lit. It gives a somewhat historical and mostly fictional account of FLW's affair. It was much darker than I usually prefer, but I did like it.

After Loving Frank, I needed a good chick lit book. I found this book, The Little Lady Agency, at a used bookstore Ty and I visited. It was very cute and the best part is that it is part of a series. I love books in series! And Sophie Kinsella says it is "Deliciously Witty." Enough said.


Next up on my list:

The Help



Little Bee

*Ty recently coined the term blogvine after listening to me say, Oh I read about that on a blog. Now whenever I mention anything new he asks me if I heard that from my blog friends. What can I say? You all blog about great things!
Has anyone read these? Any other books I need to add to my queue?

21 comments:

  1. I love love Little Lady Agency!


    And I'm reading American Wife right now (heard about it through the blogvine!) and I'm loving it!

    And I still haven't read the help - I'm ashamed. Need to get on that asap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lovely Bones was my first audio book back in college! I loved listening to it. I didn't want to get out of my car!

    Sorry American Wife was a let down. I loved it, but to each his own!

    I'm currently listening to Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger who wrote The Time Traveler's Wife. It's a little odd, but I'm enjoying it.

    Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will love The Help. I cannot put that book down! It is so good!

    Lovely Bones and The Little Lady agency are next on my list. Thanks for the suggestions :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Currently reading American Wife and I love it! The Lovely Bones and The Help are on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Lovely Bones is so good, but really sad. I absolutely loooved The Help and I listened to American Wife on books on cd, which made it go pretty quickly and I really enjoyed that one too! i'll have to check out the others!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read the other and I agree Lovely Bones is sad but makes you think. I love books. I am reading Pop Tart now and it is good. Not my normal read but it is good. Love, MG

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never listen to books for some reason -- but I have read Lovely Bones and American Wife. Loved them both. I even recently re-read Lovely Bones. I know the movie will prob. let me down when I see it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wooooah, I heard it through the Blogvine and I'm just about to looooose my mind, honey honey yeah..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am hoping to read The Help soon too! I am on the "waitlist" at the library. There are 45 PEOPLE ahead of me! It better be good :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you read Emily Giffin's Something Borrowed and Something Blue? Her books are so good! Love to hear the recommendations through the blogvine :)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love The Help!

    I'm reading The Kite Runner and a nonfiction book about the sinking of the USS Indianapolis during WW2. I always have 2 books going at once!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read all 3 of the "little lady" books and enjoyed the first two the most. Good to read when you're waiting for more Sophie Kinsella!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have not read any of those books but I heard good things about The Help and I think I will put it on my list as well. Someone suggested to me that I read Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers. I better get to reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Lovely Bones and Loving Frank were both choices of my book club. I give the first a thumbs down - just couldn't get through the content - and the second a thumbs up - also a stretch from my usual chick lit. Now, The Help gets a huge thumbs up from me (we are waiting for it to come out in paperback for the book club read). Haven't heard of Little Bee, but I am ordering it from the library tonight to add to my list. I am also a S. Kinsella fan. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have you seen the FLW house here? Its just a couple of blocks from where I grew up. It always creeps me out and has shown up in some scary dreams. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved the Lovely Bones! I liked The Help too..but I feel like it was really hyped up for me :) Little Bee's on my list as well! Good list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love to read but haven't read any of these... i'll have to check them out! thanks for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A Summer Affair by Elin Hilderbrand. I got it from my local library and was blown away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I couldn't finish Lovely Bones. It haunted me for days. Wonderfully written.
    I can't wait to hear what you think of Little Bee - it looks so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ooh great list, I'm going to have to bookmark this. I've heard great things about The Help too, that's on my list as well. I just finished The Grapes of Wrath so I wanted a light fun read after that so I'm currently reading the highly recommended (through the blogvine :)) Something Borrowed :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...