|Home|
  • |About Me|
  • |Blog Designs|

Tuesday, March 8

loving shellac manicures

I tried a shellac manicure about six weeks ago and LOVED it! A shellac manicure is supposed to stay shiny and chip free for two weeks. I wanted to document my experience with it, because I had so many questions before I had it done.

Ty and I had spent two weekends getting our house ready to be put on the market and my hands were so dry and my nails were awful. I was worried that it wouldn't last two weeks on my nails, because they were so weak. My nails are never really strong, so this was always going to be a concern of mine and I decided to just bite the bullet.
This is the brand the salon used.
gellac.jpg_3

I took pictures of my nails throughout the 3 weeks that my manicure lasted. Yes, I said 3 WEEKS! I wish I would have taken the pictures the same way each time and with my camera instead of using a mix of my camera and my iPhone to give you all more accurate pictures. Live and learn.
Day 1


Day 10
IMG_6016
I had tiny chips at the ends of two nails and I just trimmed them down. They were very small and kinda underneath (if that makes sense) and I wanted to cut them down before it turned into a bigger chip.

Day 14, oops!

I pulled the rest of the polish off this nail and painted it a dark purple with regular nail polish. I wasn't ready to take the shellac off of the rest of the nails and this was an easy solution. It didn't look good, but it wasn't noticeable unless you really looked at it. The main thing was the color was the same, so people didn't really look twice at it.

Day 21
IMG_6099
The picture above turned out blurry, because I was taking the picture with my left hand, but you can see my pointer finger that I painted with regular polish and how my thumb had chipped.

Day 21
IMG_6096
My left hand looked great other than the fact that it had grown out. I didn't have any chips on these nails, probably because it isn't my dominant hand.

It is more expensive than a regular manicure. I paid $30 versus $15 for a regular manicure. BUT, it lasts so much longer than a regular manicure. Getting a manicure regularly is not in my budget, even one that lasts 3 weeks. They are definitely special treats. That being said the next time I get one I will go with the shellac.

The one downside is to get the shellac polish off you have to soak your nails in acetone. My nails weren't smooth once the polish was off, because they drill your nail bed to get it smooth before applying the polish. It did not weaken my nails. I polished them with regular polish to protect them. I think I just rambled for a whole post, but hopefully I answered some questions for someone. :)

Oh, and if you are in my area I would be happy to tell you where I went and also where my bff has gone to get hers done.

16 comments:

  1. Omg...I love it! That is so amazing! I'd definitely say it's worth the money too!

    http://lizabethmthomas-elizabeth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok def need to know where u go here.( I am megans friend that threw the shower for her) I have been wanting to get this kind of manicure and wondered I'd it was worth the extra money

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I really want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am dying to try one of these myself... I would love to have a mani that lasts longer than a day or two!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have gotten the colored gel before and I want to try the shellac to see what the differences between the two are. All I know is that either is way better than a regular manicure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so awesome! I've heard of those manicures but haven't gotten one yet. If it lasts as long as yours did, I think the extra cost would be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm shocked that it lasted 3 weeks! It's been so long since I've had a mani (not in the budget yet!) but my bff is getting married in May so I'll definitely have to get the shellac mani for that! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. for some reason this didn't show up new until today and it says you posted 6 days ago. get with it blogger!!! anyways, I've heard great things about shellac. If, of course, can't use it...but I like to admire :) I'm thinking about letting myself use nail polish at 20 weeks or so, haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wanting to try this. I was told it was only a few more $$ than a normal manicure, now I'm really curious to see if it is here or more like you paid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I am so impressed! I definitely need to try it. I always get my nails painted clear for fear of chipping. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A few of the girls at my work have been getting their nails done this way and they always look great! I love the color you picked too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard about shellac before. Never knew any one that had done it. thanks for the review. I do like the color.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ahh excited to try this!

    oh my goodness, i love your blog!

    following you now :)

    ashleyborysewich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. i have to try this! the most annoying thing is having your polish chip the day after you get a manicure. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oooh, i want to get one! are you in the dfw area? where did you get this done?

    ReplyDelete
  16. im so glad you posted about the nails..ive been very curious but have yet to bite the bullet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...