|Home|
  • |About Me|
  • |Blog Designs|

Tuesday, August 18

how chocolate chip cookies have influenced my life

You know how interviewers sometimes ask you who has been the most influential person in your life? Well, I have had many great, influential people in my life but the chocolate chip cookie has had a huge influence on who I am. I'm not very good at recalling memories from my childhood, but when I do the memories almost always contain chocolate chip cookies.
When I got married I set out on a journey to find the perfect cc cookie recipe. I decided that if I had the perfect recipe then that would automatically make me the best mom. {I realize deep down in my heart that the best moms have more going for them than their cookie recipes, but just go with me here.}

My mom, bless her heart, likes her cc cookies flat and crispy. I on the other hand like mine a little doughy and big and fluffy. I will not hold this against her and she is a great mom.

My earliest memories of cc cookies would be with my aunt. I got my love of eating raw dough from her. She used to always make two batches--one for baking and one for eating the dough. For some reason I could never convince my mom to go for this.

My great grandma always had Soft Batch cc cookies in her house. I have always thought they are the best store bought cc cookies ever! I still buy them to this day at the gas stations in the 4 pack when I am on work road trips. Love em!

In middle school and high school I attended the same church camp every summer. In the camp "grocery" store they sold pillsbury cookie dough. My friends and I would buy the dough and eat it raw. It was sooooo good!


I grew up with the same close, knit group of friends since pre-school. One of the girl's mom made the best chocolate chip cookies. I was always so excited when her mom baked cookies.


My MIL always has cc cookies at her house. They are tasty little cookies and I have picked up a couple of good tips from her.

When I got married I made sure I had all the essential cc cookie baking tools: the pans (must be dark pans and not shiny ones), the baking racks and the perfect spatula.
The mini spatula from Pampered Chef. (My mom always uses this when she bakes cookies and she bought me one.)


Ty and Chesley became my guinea pigs on this quest for the perfect recipe. I made tons of cookies our first year of marriage. I also ate more than my fair share of cookie dough and may have made myself sick a few times by eating too much of it! During the great ice storm of 2007, I had made a batch of cookie dough a couple of hours before the power went out. I made it up and stuck it in the fridge to bake later. Well that never happened due to the power outage. Ty and I moved in with my aunt and uncle for 5 days, because they had power. I took a bunch of food with me in order to save some of it. You better believe that one of those items was the cookie dough. My little cousins and I keep sneaking spoonfuls of cookie dough all week.


My cookies are the only thing that Ty ever requests that I make. Side note: The man does not care about food as much as me. As long as the food tastes decent he will eat it and never cares what we are eating. So the fact that he requests these cookies makes me oh so happy!

Nuts also loves it when I bake cookies. He comes and sits right at my feet waiting for any dough to fly out due to the mixing.


Sunday afternoons seem to be my baking days so I baked some cookies a couple of days ago. I decided to add a few extra ingredients. One of the ingredients was nutmeg. Ty walked through the kitchen and tasted a little bit of dough and was not pleased. He wanted to know why I was messing with a good thing. haha! I guess I will not be adding nutmeg anymore. It was an overwhelming taste, but they still turned out good.


I am still perfecting the recipe, but I do have a good base recipe down. Now I just need to work on tweaking it. And I am going to be a real meanie and not share the recipe. I think everyone should have a secret recipe and cc cookies will be mine. Besides what if we end up living next door to each other one day? We can't both be the mom with the best cc cookies! haha!

{the cc cookie pictures are not mine. I wish they were because they are great pics, but they aren't.}

Photobucket

39 comments:

  1. LOL about your quest for the perfect cookie recipe, Lindsey! I've been married for almost 12 years now and that is the ONE thing my hubby and kids request of me - is my recipe for my chocolate chip cookies. He also gets tons of requests for them at the holidays from his staff, etc. They are THE PERFECT cc cookie and I will gladly share my recipe if you are interested! :o) Big hugs, Trac~ :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want you to know that I am really upset with you right now because after reading this post all I want for lunch is chocolate chip cookie dough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! now i have to have some! and what a cute and creative post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE cc cookie dough! It is the best. I think I need to start doing what your aunt does....1 batch for dough, 1 batch to bake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the fluffiness of Soft Batch cookies..they would be perfect if they were fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good CC cookie is the key to my heart! I love the fluffy ones that are moist/doughy in the middle! If we ever become neighbors, I've got the Cherry Pie Cookies covered!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sheesh!! Can you at least main me some?? I'll send me address :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soft batch are the best pre-made cookies, hands down. I love eating the dough raw, too. I was only allowed to do so at my best friend's house, though.

    I am not much of a baker, but you're inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, now I really want some chocolate chip cookies. They really are the perfect All-American dessert, don't you think?

    And, I completely agree that Soft Batch are the best store-bought cc cookies (I have known some people that like original Chips Ahoy - I hate crunchy cc cookies!). I love cookies that are soft and a little doughy in the middle. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love chocolate chips cookies, and it makes me want to bake some this week...as a matter of fact, I think I might.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seriously soft batch are amazing, especially if you put them in the microwave. YUM!

    My mom has an amazing cc cookie recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When you have it perfected you will have to share your recipe! It doesn't get much better than a good chocolate chip cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i just ate a chocolate chip cookie! num!

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is a fun post.

    when i was in high school i went on vacation with a friend and her family and we would walk to the store and buy those same long tubes of cookie dough and just eat the dough all day/night.

    it was the best but i did come home from that trip with some extra pounds on me! (and my mom noticed but i wouldn't tell her about the cookie dough lol)

    ReplyDelete
  15. as bad as it is.. i have to lick my fingers in spite of salmonella.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I kinda have the same goal but mine isn't cookies...mine is ANY dish or dessert that I bring to a holiday that my family just cant live without. PPL are known for the dishes and such like grandma and her chicken and dressing. I just want to be know for something..I want ppl to say man Kara's blah blahs are the best. u know?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do you know how hungry this post has made me!! I'm so inspired by your quest for the perfect recipe. I also really need to get one of those small spatulas. One of my friends has one from Pampered Chef too and swears by it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE cc cookies. My mom's were always flat too. I also like to reserve half of the dough for eating. I never thought about the color of the cookie sheet making a difference. You are too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  19. One other note, Lindsey, regarding the Pampered Chef spatula and the color of the pan - I can honestly say that the cc recipe I was telling you about makes PERFECT cookies EVERY TIME on my Pampered Chef flat pizza stone - it is very seasoned, of course, but I will never make cookies of any kind without it - it makes all the difference in the world! Trust me, I tried it and learned the hard way! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ohh I make pretty much the best chocolate chip cookies ever.

    I'm not lying, I swear people tell me that all the time.

    But my recipe isn't exactly a secret, and it's not all that fancy at all.

    I posted about it here: http://inmyblondelife.blogspot.com/2008/06/mmm-cookies.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yesterday I made some chocolate chip cookies, and they were disgusting. It was not a good recipe! I need to find a good recipe also!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like chewy cc cookies the best! I'm with you, I'm still perfecting my recipe, but, I must say, I make a mean chocolate chip oatmeal cookie--that will probably be my "best"--I hope. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a great post, now I want cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great aim! Have you had Terry's (Whitney's mom) cc cookies? Whitney says that her basis is the Nestle Toll House recipe, which I've found to be awful on several occasions, so I think she must make some big time changes (like more flour maybe?). Anyway, you must try them, as they are just as the ones you described - soft and doughy. They are TO DIE FOR! Seriously, tell Whitney that you need to do some research and try them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is seriously the sweetest (no pun intended! :)) post I've ever read. I love reading about your cc cookie hunt! And my mom and I always used to double the recipe, and eat half the raw dough, and bake the rest. To this day, whenever I have an incredibly stressful day and need comfort food, coookie dough is what I run for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this post! CC cookies are so good, espeically when they're hot.

    ReplyDelete
  27. CC's are my FAVVVVVE! Oh man, I want one.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yum. Wanna trade some cupcakes for some cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is great! CC cookies are delish and I think finding a good recipe is very important! you can share your favs if ya want! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yum! I'm craving a good CC cookie now! (But if I do ever live next door, will you bake some for me, since I can't have the recipe?)

    ReplyDelete
  31. CC cookies always remind me of my father because my mom would always make him the cookies from scratch. Then she would start just making the slice & bake ones but I would be the doting daughter and make him cc cookies from scratch because they always turn out better :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Mmmmmm! Pop the soft batch in the microwave and they almost taste homemade!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a fab post! I am forever perfecting my recipe! And I'm stingtastic with it too!

    ReplyDelete
  34. That is SO funny because my Great Grandma would always have soft batch as well, and she would tell us to put them on a napkin and put them in the microwave for a few seconds. Yum! I also just told my Mom I need a Pampered Chef spatula, when I took note of hers again this week. Chocolate Chip Cookies are my absolute FAVORITE- you make me want to whip some up, maybe this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I want to live where you live. I grew up talking like you talk (or at least talking like you write), but these days I am surrounded by people who don't sound like me. You sound like me. I want my son to sound like me, not like the people who live where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a heartwarming post! I'm having a cookie contest giveaway on my cookie recipe website through the end of September.

    I am looking for favorite cookie stories and would love to have you share a brief version of your CCC story there.

    The prize is the Betty Crocker Cookie Cookbook, which has several great CCC recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...