|Home|
  • |About Me|
  • |Blog Designs|

Wednesday, April 27

recent reads

I can not travel without having a book with me. I don't understand how people can sit on airplanes with nothing to do, but twiddle their thumbs. I need something to pass the time. Some of the books below I read while traveling, others just at home.

My sister-in-law bought me this book for me for Christmas. It was a good bedtime read, meaning it was easy to put down and go to sleep, but not at all boring. I have a problem with reading books in bed and staying up way too late. This one was perfect for me!
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society_jpg
“ I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some sort of secret homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers.” January 1946: London is emerging from the shadow of the Second World War, and writer Juliet Ashton is looking for her next book subject. Who could imagine that she would find it in a letter from a man she’s never met, a native of the island of Guernsey, who has come across her name written inside a book by Charles Lamb….
As Juliet and her new correspondent exchange letters, Juliet is drawn into the world of this man and his friends—and what a wonderfully eccentric world it is. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society—born as a spur-of-the-moment alibi when its members were discovered breaking curfew by the Germans occupying their island—boasts a charming, funny, deeply human cast of characters, from pig farmers to phrenologists, literature lovers all.
Juliet begins a remarkable correspondence with the society’s members, learning about their island, their taste in books, and the impact the recent German occupation has had on their lives. Captivated by their stories, she sets sail for Guernsey, and what she finds will change her forever.
Written with warmth and humor as a series of letters, this novel is a celebration of the written word in all its guises, and of finding connection in the most surprising ways.


This was such a good book! I know I mentioned going to see the movie already, but it really did the book justice. Of course, the book was better, but the movie was still good.
Definitely a must read!
43641
Though he may not speak of them, the memories still dwell inside Jacob Jankowski's ninety-something-year-old mind. Memories of himself as a young man, tossed by fate onto a rickety train that was home to the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth. Memories of a world filled with freaks and clowns, with wonder and pain and anger and passion; a world with its own narrow, irrational rules, its own way of life, and its own way of death. The world of the circus: to Jacob it was both salvation and a living hell.
Jacob was there because his luck had run out - orphaned and penniless, he had no direction until he landed on this locomotive 'ship of fools'. It was the early part of the Great Depression, and everyone in this third-rate circus was lucky to have any job at all. Marlena, the star of the equestrian act, was there because she fell in love with the wrong man, a handsome circus boss with a wide mean streak. And Rosie the elephant was there because she was the great gray hope, the new act that was going to be the salvation of the circus; the only problem was, Rosie didn't have an act - in fact, she couldn't even follow instructions. The bond that grew among this unlikely trio was one of love and trust, and ultimately, it was their only hope for survival.


My sister-in-law suggested this book to me and let me borrow it. I have wanted to read it for some time, but it is a thick book and for some reason that always stopped me.
7a91224128a08174e0de6010.L._SL500_AA300_

Two sisters competing for the greatest prize: the love of a king. When Mary Boleyn comes to court as an innocent girl of fourteen, she catches the eye of Henry VIII. Dazzled by the king, Mary falls in love with both her golden prince and her growing role as unofficial queen. However, she soon realizes just how much she is a pawn in her family's ambitious plots as the king's interest begins to wane and she is forced to step aside for her best friend and rival: her sister, Anne. Then Mary knows that she must defy her family and her king, and take her fate into her own hands.

A rich and compelling tale of love, sex, ambition, and intrigue, The Other Boleyn Girl introduces a woman of extraordinary determination and desire who lived at the heart of the most exciting and glamorous court in Europe and survived by following her own heart.

Ty and I watched a season of The Tudors last year on netflix and it is about the same thing, just told in very different ways. The book gives you a better idea of what that time period was like for women.
the_tudors-logo

My current book:
4477

Ty recently read this book and suggested that I read it to get a better understanding of what residency would be like. Atul Gawande did a general surgery residency just like Ty will be starting in July. I would suggest this to other spouses whose husbands/wives are about to begin residnency, regardless of the specialty. Gawande does a great job of telling stories about patients to explain his points. I think I will probably touch more on this closer to graduation.

"Sometimes in medicine the only way to know what is truly going on in a patient is to operate, to look inside with one's own eyes. This book is exploratory surgery on medicine itself, laying bare a science not in its idealized form but as it actually is - complicated, perplexing, and profoundly human." Atul Gawande offers an unflinching view from the scalpel's edge, where science is ambiguous, information is limited, the stakes are high, yet decisions must be made. In dramatic and revealing stories of patients and doctors, he explores how deadly mistakes occur and why good surgeons go bad. He shows what happens when medicine comes up against the inexplicable: an architect with incapacitating back pain for which there is no physical cause; a young woman with nausea that won't go away; a television newscaster whose blushing is so severe that she cannot do her job. And in a richly detailed portrait of both the people and the science, Gawande also ponders the human factor that makes saving lives possible.


Have you read any good books lately?

9 comments:

  1. Have you read The Ape House by Sara Gruen?

    I loved Water For ELephants too, maybe one of my favorites ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. I am always looking for something new to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society" last year and loved it :) I wanted to read "Water for Elephants" before the movie came out but no such luck! I just read "Sarah's Key" which was good but sad, and I just started "Same Kind of Different as Me" which I think is going to be fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm reading the immortal life of henrietta lacks and really like it. i am definitely going to read Complications - i work on the surgical floor and work with surgeons/surgery patients every day, it sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Water for Elephants is on my list to read. I have heard nothing but great things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read all of these books except the last one and liked them all too.

    I would recommend Cutting for Stone, Hunger Games, and Shadow of the Wind. All very different from each other, but each very good in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I gotta say - I just wasn't feeling the Potato Peel Society book. I gave it up in the middle, which is something I do verrry rarely.

    I love all of Adriana Trigiani's books. Jen Lancaster's books are all hilarious. And I love the Jessica Darling series by Megan McCafferty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Read and loved the first two you mentioned! :) I actually just blogged about Water for Elephants, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I started the Potato Peel Society book last year and never finished. I should pick it back up.

    Loved WFE. How could you not?!

    And I read The Other Boleyn Girl back in college. I was absolutely enthralled by it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...