|Home|
  • |About Me|
  • |Blog Designs|

Tuesday, January 12

Books and Comfort Food

Ty bought me a series of books by Francine Rivers, called Mark of the Lion for my birthday.* One of my favorite books is Redeeming Love written by Rivers, so I was very excited to receive these. There are three books in this series and I am on the last book. They are full of history and center on Rome when it was at the height of its power. It took me a while to adjust to the first book, because it contained so much historical and background information. A little different than my vampire books and chick lit.

The last time we were in our hometown my MIL made a chicken and dumplings recipe from the January issue of Southern Living. I was a little hesitant when she told me this is what she was making. I had made chicken and dumplings last winter and it turned out awful. This recipe was so different than the one I tried and it was YUMMY. It definitely hit the spot.

I forgot to take a pic of my dish, so you will have to make do with an iPhone pic of my magazine.
Why is my magazine so wrinkled, you ask? Well, someone in my house might have spilled a thermos of coffee all over our coffee table and it wasn't me.

This is an easy version of the classic recipe.

1 (32 oz.) container low-sodium chicken broth
3 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 can reduced-fat cream of chicken soup
1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 (10.2 oz.) can refrigerated jumbo buttermilk biscuits
2 carrots, diced
3 celery ribs, diced

1. Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high; return to a low boil.

2. Place biscuits on a lightly flowered surface or on wax paper. Roll or pat each biscuit to 1/8-inch thickness; cut into 1/2-inch wide strips.

3. Drop strips, 1 at a time, into boiling broth mixture. Add carrots and celery. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent dumplings from sticking.

*My birthday was in November. I didn't want to cause confusion since I had blogged about two of my birthday presents two days in a row.

24 comments:

  1. I love redemming love, and have always wanted to read these books! I'm going to have to check them out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is one of my favorite authors! That is a great series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need reread Redeeming Love. I wish that I was more of a reader. I love readers. I teach reading. But, I just don't tend to be too much of a reader myself. And, I love your new design. You are talented in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That recipe looks SO so good... definitely adding it to my must-make list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am going to check and see if my library carries these books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the voice in the wind series (what's the real name?) is one of my all time favorites. pretty sure i wanted to MARRY marcus back in the day...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished the third Mark of the Lion books! I loved them and can't wait to get my husband to read them. He read Redeeming Love and it made him a better man than he already was.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhhh, thank you for such a fabulous recipe! Totally going to have to make this for the hubs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i wish i was eating it for lunch! ;) soup sounds perfect right now!
    the recipe sounds simple, i'm going to print. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chicken and dumplings is one of my very favorite foods. I'm going to have to try your recipe!

    Have you tried Whitney's chicken noodles recipe? It tastes almost exactly like the chicken and dumplings at Cracker Barrel, only with noodles instead of dumplings. SO GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I may have to look into that series...Chicken and dumplings are a favorite of mine, but have not been sounding good lately. I may have to try this one one day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE chicken dumplings! I'm def gonna try this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to read some of her books, I've only heard great things!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have read several of her books, I really liked them. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That meal looks soooo yummy!
    Happy belated birthday! :-)
    -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy! We LOVE chicken and dumplings at our house. I will definitely have to try this recipe out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm going to have to try the recipe! I love chicken and dumplings but I've never tried to make them.

    I've started the Francine Rivers series like three times. I can never get far enough into it to come back to it. It's different than more normal reads too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks to you (who I won my subscription from - which I love so much, thanks again btw) I tore this recipe out and plan to make it this weekend!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The soup looks really good...

    Love your blog!!

    Please follow me:
    thelifeandtimesofkatiescott.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those books are amazing! LOVE, LOVE Redeeming Love. Such an amazing story of love and grace! Great blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't heard of the books!! I have so much reading I want to do...someday!!

    I LOVE dumplings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE The Mark of The Lion series. The second one is my favorite!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...