|Home|
  • |About Me|
  • |Blog Designs|

Tuesday, October 26

Chili's--a copycat recipe

My mom bought me this cookbook for Christmas last year.
51N2EJjLoTL._SL500_AA300_

My favorite recipe from it is Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup. LOVE it. I love everything from Chili's, so of course I was excited to see this recipe in the cookbook.

lens2691212_1234832883Chilis_Chicken_Enchilada_Soup_2

I will warn you there are a lot of ingredients, but it is worth it. I promise. It also makes a TON. I freeze several containers of it.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup chicken bouillon powder
3 cups diced yellow onions
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cups masa harina*
4 quarts water
2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
8 oz Velveeta, cubed
3 lbs cooked chicken breast, shredded (I use a rotisserie chicken.)

Toppings:
Shredded cheddar cheese
tortilla strips (I buy a bag of these in the salad dressing aisle.)
pico de gallo (I buy this already prepared from the grocery store--saves time.)

Directions:
1. Add the oil, bouillon powder, onions, cumin, chili powder, garlic, and cayenne pepper to a large pot. Saute until the onions are soft and clear, about 5 minutes.

2. In a large bowl, combine the masa harina with 1 quart of the water. Stir until all the lumps have dissolved. Add to the sauteed onions and bring the mixture to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly, for an additional 2-3 minutes.

3. Add the remaining 3 quarts water to the pot. Add the tomatoes and return to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add the cheese and stir until it melts. Add the chicken; heat and serve.

4. Garnish with shredded cheese, tortilla strips, and pico.

(serves 16 to 20)

*Masa harina can be found in the hispanic food aisle. The kind I bought looks like this:
masa-1-500x334


11 comments:

  1. YUM! I love Chili's Chicken Enchilada soup! I need that recipe book, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this soup! can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sending this to my mom right now! :) We love the Chicken Enchilada soup from Chili's. I haven't heard about this cookbook... sounds very good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummm!!! I love a good chicken enchilada soup! Now if I could figure out how to make those multi colored tortilla strips...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow! I've never seen this cookbook! I need to check it out. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love Chili's, too, and this soup is definitely a favorite. Thanks for posting the recipe. I'm going to try it very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that soup! Thanks for posting this recipe. I cant wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my Yum!!! This looks fab. And, really, doesn't Chili's have the best food???

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh can't wait to try this! thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...