|Home|
  • |About Me|
  • |Blog Designs|

Wednesday, September 16

game day dress

Thank you all for your sweet comments on my dress. Several of you wanted to know how I did it. You all know I'm not very good at tutorials. I even took a couple of pictures thinking I would show you all how I did it, but then the dress wasn't turning out quite how I thought, so I stopped snapping pics. I did find a couple of sites that will make them for you. I will list several sites at the bottom of this post.

Here's what I did:

I bought a small and medium t-shirt (the same shirt). I cut the top off the small and pinned the dress together where I had cut the top and sleeves off.

I recommend using elastic thread to sew the top and right under the bust. Here are a couple of links where I learned about sewing with elastic thread, here and here.
Although you might want to use regular elastic for the top. I ended up sewing mine tight enough to where I didn't really even need elastic at the top.

Then I cut the bottom of the medium shirt and attached it to the bottom of the small top. I would recommend just buying two shirts of the same size. I had to resize the med. bottom to fit the small top. Make sense?

Mine did NOT turn out perfect by any means. I honestly had no idea what I was doing and used my seam ripper more than I care to rememer.

Visit the Polka Dot Alley if you want to have one custom made for you. They are constantly adding new pictures of the custom dresses that they have made. They also sell a ton of other cute gift items including a great customizable melamine tray that I really want!

You can also visit Ketch the Spirit. This company was started by a girl that graduated from my alma mater. She only makes dresses for a few university. Check her out to see if she makes one for your school of choice.


Photobucket

24 comments:

  1. Just found your blog and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!! I'm a Cowboys fan married to a Sooner fan (why did I marry him again??? Oh yeah, lol) so it is so good to see a fellow OSU fan!

    Love the dress idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT!
    Such a good idea :)
    And, thanks for the links for the elastic thread. I've been looking at a few tutorials that require it and it seems so scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay - Now I'm even more impressed by the dress. That looks like a lot of work. I don't even know how to sew a button! Thanks for including the link to Polka Dot Alley so us less talented seamstresses can still have an adorable dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dress!! I think I'm going to try to make one... of course mine will be crimson! ha! I've been looking for tutorials and have not found any for that style. There is one I might try though... I'll let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still cannot believe you made that! You should be on Project Runway! I really wish I could sew. My mom is great at it, but I lose patience. Maybe I'll try again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe that you made it either! That's awesome! I love the dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dress is truly adorable...thanks for sharing!

    I'm making your chicken recipe tonight for the boy...we'll see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are WAY more talented then I will ever be! And another site that I found recently was http://www.trucolorsapparel.com/retail-locations.html they also do game day dresses in a whole bunch of styles. Not sure on the prices though bc they are not listed online.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! I may have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. well you just did a FAB job!! So, how much would you charge to make this pretty little item?? haha...I'm not sure I have the patience to try to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, I like to think I'm pretty domestic and good at all things "housewife", and because of that, it takes a lot to impress me in this area. :) So seriously, you should know that I am uber impressed when I complement you on your sewing/dress-making skills, which I will do right now:

    Your sewing/dress-making skills are amazing!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad you shared this tip, I might be giving it a try! College football season is a big deal in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the link..I am def getting a dress made..LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am SO impressed that you sew like you do. That's one hobby I don't want to even touch because I don't know when I'd fit it in. I'm headed over to those other sites now! Thanks for the e-mail suggestions and your comments on the "Puppy Party". I SO wish you and Nuts could come!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the tutorial - great idea! I'm going to have to try this and hope it turns out half as good :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it!! You are so crafty--I never would have thought this up. It turned out great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Check out www.ShopDressU.com..they specializing in specific team colors...very trendy and affordable!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so sweet to add my link here, I own www.thepolkadotalley.com and appreciate you passing it along! Send me a comment on my page with your email address and we will get going on your custom melamine tray!(: I am glad to give a gift to someone who has helped to promote for me! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the links I just ordered 2 dresses from the Ketch the Spirit site and found out that they have a ton of schools they do dresses for... all my girls are going to be so excited. Thanks again love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this dress you did an excellent job! So do you have a seam under the breast where it is gathered and then another seam where you attached the two shirts? Just trying to figure out how you did this as want to make a few. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Also did you use a men's shirt or women's?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Do you have any more details about the cutting of the shirt? Could you do the whole dress from 1 shirt? I really want to make one, and I want to make a toddler sized one for my neighbor's little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Do you think you could do this from 1 shirt? Did you cut the sides and resew them together also? I am looking to make 1 for me and 1 for a friend's little girl.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...