|Home|
  • |About Me|
  • |Blog Designs|

Thursday, October 16

Presidential Post

I spent the last couple of days in Houston with my boss. We were there for a couple of recruiting events. (I recruit undergrad students to come to medical school.) Her brother, Daren, is the manager of the Houston Polo Club. He also plays polo professionally. His job allows him to meet all kinds of famous and not to mention, rich people. One of the most exclusive clubs in Houston is right next door to the Polo Club, the Bayou Club. The Bayou Club owns the Houston Polo Club. Well, guess who happens to be a member of the Bayou Club--former President Bush. He also lives near the polo club and whenever he needs to fly in his helicopter, he lands it on the polo field. Dana and I happened to be in the right place at the right time. Daren called Dana the day we were flying into Houston and asks her if we would like to meet former Presidents Bush and Clinton. Of course she said yes! We had to leave our hotel at 6:15 in the morning to be at the polo club in plenty of time to meet them.
The only people at the polo club are Daren and his wife, Tammy, Dana, me, secret service, the pilots, two key staff members, a camera man, a representative from the company of the helicopter and the presidents. Oh yeah, and the former Secretary of State, James Baker. It was quite the cast! It was also a very small crowd. We were incredibly lucky to even meet these men, but to be the only other people there was amazing! They were headed to Galveston to see all the devastation caused by Hurricane Ike. They have set up the Bush-Clinton Coastal Recovery Fund to help the Texas and Lousiania coast lines recover from these hurricanes.

Poppa Bush is so cute! And very old. He arrived first and was very nice. He walked over to Dana, Tammy, and I and greeted us. He was very nice. Clinton was the last to arrive and he came over to us and shook our hands and made small talk just like Poppa Bush. Clinton is much skinnier in person than he looks. He kind of reminded me of a mix between Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley. After we took the picture that is above this paragraph, he patted me on the back and said bless you. How many people can say that they have met two former presidents?? And a former Secretary of State?? It was quite a morning.

Three very powerful men about to board a helicopter.

After our eventful morning we headed over to Prairie View A&M University to actually do what we came into Houston to do--our jobs. Later that evening I got to go to dinner with one of my good friends from college, Lindsay. She is my little from my sorority. I love visiting her in Houston. She always plans the best things for us to do. We went to dinner at an italian restaurant and then headed to Ooh La La, The Dessert Boutique. It was the cutest cupcake bakery. My camera died from all the pictures I took of the presidents, but I did get one good picture of my cupcake to share with you all!

After dinner and dessert, I requested to go to Home Goods. This is a store that I have heard about from so many of the blogs that I read. We don't have one in Oklahoma, but we NEED one! I think it is associated with TJ Maxx, but it is obviously all home goods. I loved the store, but didn't find anything that I just couldn't live without. Or that would fit in my suitcase anyway. I did buy a little gift for someone, but I don't want to spoil their surprise.
Needless to say I had a great time in Houston! Although, nothing beats coming home!

12 comments:

  1. that is so freaking cool and a huge deal! so exciting and fun for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still can't believe you met the Presidents. How neat. I wish George W. would have been there. I think he is the cutest little man. Glad you had a good time - that's definitely a trip to remember. Okay - where are you...it's 8:13 and you're still not here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an amazing experience! I can't believe how lucky you are. WOW!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. L U C K Y!!!!!!!!!!!! i am so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is so cool that you have a picture with two ex-presidents! How awesome and exciting for you! (o:

    And that cupcake look like divinity . Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun experience.
    It is also neat to hear that they were both kind to you..

    I love politics and I love Papa Bush, and even W. But the president I so dearly would have loved to meet was Ronald Regan. I am such a nerd. I even buy books about him..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is so exciting, glad you got a picture! The closest I got to a President was Richard Nixon who spoke at my graduation from Oklahoma State in 1974. On his way to the platform I managed to shake hands with his wife, Pat.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so awesome!

    And your cupcake looks amazing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How stinking cool is that! I've never met anyone really important like that, not a historical figure anyway. That group photo came out really good. It's the kind of thing you can frame and hang in your office!

    Oh, and HomeGoods rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, it's Cari, Whitney's friend. I've been a stalker for awhile. There. That's out in the open.
    Ok. I think it is very neat and cool and all of those words rolled into one that you met the Presidents. However, there is something more pressing to discuss. HomeGoods. Alright...I, like you, have seen it on the internet and wondered what in the world it was. Everyone raved about it. I looked it up and I aparently have one in a town 40 minutes away, but I think it's just in the TJMaxx&More. I've learned the "More" is probably the HomeGoods, only not a full blown HomeGods, just a mini HomeGoods. Anyway, last weekend I was in Texas (Dallas) and as we turned out of our hotel what do my eyes behold? HOMEGOODS!! All through dinner I kept saying "we need to finish eating, I've got to get to HomeGoods before it closes". Luckily, we did. Oh. My. Goodness. I only had 15 minutes to peruse the aisles before closing time. I know there were major bargains just waiting to be found. I was overwhelmed to say the least.
    Ok. I just realize I wrote a novel about HomeGoods. I will shut up now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, now that's a perk. I love how Clinton has his arm around you...of course! Ha! What a great experience for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...