|Home|
  • |About Me|
  • |Blog Designs|

Wednesday, October 1

October

October officially means that I can start planting flower bulbs. I want to plant lots and lots of flowers. Do you think the husby will let me plant enough flowers to cover the backyard??
I had my heart set on planting a peony bush this Fall, but from what little research I have done it seems like it will be pointless. Ty and I will probably only be in this house for 3 years and I read that it takes about 3 years for a peony bush to actually produce a bloom. Any opinions on this??? Peonies are my favorite flowers. Peonies were the flowers in my bridal bouquet. I really want to plant them, but I also really want them to bloom--right now. Okay, so I am a little impatient.



I have purchased tulip bulbs and ranunculus bulbs. I used ranunculus in my candlelight bouquet. (A candlelight is a ceremony that you have at a sorority house to announce your engagement. Everyone stands in a circle and passes the lit candle around while singing a song. Every sorority has their own song. At my sorority the 3rd time that the candlelight passes around, the person that is announcing her engagement blows the candle out. It is so much fun and a long time tradition!)

Pretty Ranunculus


More ranunculus...the only choice of bulbs I had was a mixed assortment or I would have done lots of different shades of....you guessed it--Pink!


I want to plant a rose bush, but it is best to plant them in the Spring. Now, I just need to talk my wonderful husband into digging up a flower bed for me...

Update on ranunculus...I just googled some info on them. "To grow Ranunculus in zones 4-7, we recommend planting in the early spring when the chance of frost has passed and enjoy late spring blooms." Looks like I will not be planting these for a while. I am in zone 6. To find out what zone you are in click here.
The back of the package says that I can plant them in October. I guess I will plant them now and in early spring and see what happens...


Ty bought these tulips for me for Valentine's Day our Junior year in college.


Are you planting anything this Fall with hopes that it will bloom in the Spring?

16 comments:

  1. You are so savvy in the world-o-plants. I am not. Come save my flower bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those flowers are beautiful. my mom bought me a whole box of tulip bulbs last fall and we planted them. they came up beautiful in the spring! i'd love to add some more this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had the time or ability to get into planting. I love the results but have NO idea how to get started so I just ignore the whole thing! :)
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is so great about this story is that I know exactly what you mean about the candle ceremony!!! hahah!!! I always loved it and the build up too :) I never got to have one but it was fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I throw old hyacinth bulbs in the backyard and wish them the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my - thanks so much. Every year I forget that I need to plan bulbs this time of year and then when spring comes I get so mad at myself! I will work on this this weekend - thanks!

    Oh and your comment on my blog had been laughing SO hard... I cannot believe it!! That is just too funny and I am going to say it beats the bra story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful flowers. I am not good with flowers and plants. I most certainly do not have a green thumb..

    ReplyDelete
  8. well technically the give a way isn't over till 12:00, so I will be announcing the big winner in the morning!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a brown thumb.

    Even if I didn't, it's just to flipping hot here to get the really pretty flowers like the ones you posted. I'm always amazed whenever we go to Seattle at all of the gorgeous flowers in everyone's yards. Here, we have gravel and cactus. FUN.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! For some reason I have not thought much about planing this fall.
    Those flowers are beautiful!
    -Sandy toes

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love a good post on flowers. People don't do it a lot, and I LOVED the pictures! They're all so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i echo glamlife...come save mine, too! it was very nice when i moved in (though with plants and bushes, not flowers) but now it is an overgrown nightmare. i would at least like to plant some fresh herbs if it is not too late. herbs seem like tough specimins that i could not kill.

    ps i gave you a couple of shout outs in today's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to have a home so that I can plant some flowers!!! I love peonies so much too! They were my favorite flower in my bouquet. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We transplanted peonies from Brent's grandma and they came up the following spring but didn't bloom until the 2nd spring. It's worth a try1

    ReplyDelete
  15. I left you some bloggy love on my page come on over and check it out..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love bulb flowers too, they really make a yard beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...