|Home|
  • |About Me|
  • |Blog Designs|

Wednesday, July 15

Chalkboard Paint Craft

I first saw this chalkboard craft done by The Undomesticated Wife. She did it with an old painting. I started googling tutorials and saw that a lot people used plates.

I loved the idea! I knew I wanted a square plate, because it would be easier to tape off than a round plate. I found a plate at Tuesday Morning for $3 or $4. I started preparing for this project probably a month ago, so some of the details are fuzzy. I just got around to painting it last week. The hunt for chalkboard spray paint was a bit harder. I can't actually remember if I found it at Home Depot or Lowe's. One of them only carried the chalkboard paint in a can. I wanted it in a spray can. It seemed much simpler to just spray it on. I want to say I found it at Home Depot, but don't hold me to it. :)
I'm horrible at tutorials, but I promise this is so simple that you don't even need pictures to follow along.
1. Just take your plate and cover the part that you aren't spraying with painters tape. I did get some spray paint on my plate, because I am not very smart. I thought I would just outline the square. Well, that left the outer part of the plate uncovered. For some reason I thought it wouldn't get touched by the spray paint. I was wrong. After my first couple of sprays I had to go back and put another strip of tape all the way around. But no worries I discovered that the paint comes off pretty easy with a damp rag.
2. Spray your plate with the spray paint. Follow the directions on the can.
3. Let it dry completely. Some tutorials that I read said to let it dry for 24 hours. I ended up letting mine dry for several days, because I hadn't even bought chalk yet to write on it.
4. Remove tape slowly and carefully so that you don't rip any of the paint off.
5. Write a creative message. Try to be more creative than me! :)


The hardest part about all of this is writing on the plate. I was not blessed with cute handwriting or the ability to write in a straight line.
I think this would be a cute gift for almost any occassion!
Photobucket

Posted by Picasa

29 comments:

  1. That looks really good and I think you did a great job writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this!! I am going to have to try it out and see if I can do it, though I'm not very crafty! And what happened to your onesies on Etsy? Now that I need one, you aren't there! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a fantastic idea. With the children i was considering making a chalkboard wall, but with the house going on the market soon, this may not be the house to do it in.

    Thanks for reminding me to keep this on the backburner for our next home! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute! I have been interested in making something for Nathan eventually with chalkboard paint!

    I am so excited about this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! what a great idea. yours turned out fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute idea! You did a great job! I think the square plate was a really good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How weird...I was just thinking about one of these plates the other day and now I can make it!! awesomes

    ReplyDelete
  8. it looks GREAT!!! I wanna do one!! ps - love tuesday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen these chalkboard paint projects around the blog world recently and I just love them! Yours looks really great! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi -- just found your blog and love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a fun and creative idea! It looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! I've always wanted to do something with chalk paint and this is a great project!

    ReplyDelete
  13. GREAT idea. I am going to have to do this for myself, and I am thinking for future gift ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. uhhh I LOVE this!!! you did a GREAT job!!

    It's a way cute gift idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That turned out super cute!! Did you stamp the sides of the plate, or did it already have that design? {LOVE} it!

    I also liked using a square shape because it was easier to tape off. ha!

    I think I found my chalkboard spray paint at the W of all places.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so cute! Thanks for sharing this. I can't wait to make one for myself (so I can practice) and then for all of my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so cute! Thanks for sharing this. I can't wait to make one for myself (so I can practice) and then for all of my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so cute! I may have to borrow the idea for our house!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've just started blogging, and I'm glad I found yours. The plate is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always love seeing all the stuff you come up with! :) Cute, chica!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is a cute idea! I forgot how versatile chalkboard paint can be. I guess I'll see it in person this weekend.. can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How cute! I might have to make this as a gift sometime - good idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...