|Home|
  • |About Me|
  • |Blog Designs|

Tuesday, September 16

Basil Pesto Rounds

These go great with spaghetti! They are so easy and delish! I used to make these for Chesley when we lived in the apartments. She came over a couple of weeks ago and MADE me make a piece of toast with the basil pesto mixture on top! She is so bossy! Just kidding!



That is the great thing about this--you can make it for a lot of people or for just two. If I am making it for me and the husby I just use a regular spoon and do 2 spoonfuls of mayo to one spoonful of pesto. Then I just sprinkle in some garlic cloves (I buy the bottle of minced garlic from the spice aisle) and more than a few sprinkles of parmesan cheese. I really like the tub of grated parmesan cheese. It looks like thin flakes of cheese, but grocery store only had shredded the last time I was there. I use this stuff on everything, so it is something that I always try to have in my refrigerator.





INGREDIENTS
1 (1 pound) loaf French baguette
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup basil pesto
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt to taste


DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven on broiler setting. Arrange bread slices in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Place under broiler for 5 to 8 minutes, or until lightly toasted on one side. Watch carefully to ensure they don't burn. Remove from oven, and flip bread slices so that the toasted side is on the bottom.

Set the oven temperature for 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, pesto, garlic, Parmesan and salt. Spread evenly over untoasted sides of bread slices.
Bake in the preheated oven for 6 to 8 minutes. Set the oven to broil, and place the rounds under the broiler just until they begin to bubble and turn golden. Let cool slightly before serving.

Confession time--I do not know how to broil anything. I don't know why this confuses me! I have seen my mom do it, but I never paid very much attention to it. I need to just call her and ask her how to do it. Momsy--help me out here!
So instead of broiling the bread I just preheat my oven to 350 degrees and toast one side of the bread. Then I take it out of the oven, flip it over, spread the mixture on it and stick it back in the oven for a few minutes.
ENJOY!

8 comments:

  1. Looks great! And don't fret about the broiling thing... I have never done it either... I don't get it - haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. You MADE me make these and they're fantastic. Okay, so maybe you didn't MAKE me, but you told me to and I did. Just like when you told me to go buy those books and I did. You must get your bossiness from Chesley! ;)

    Anyway - yours look so fancy and pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This look super yummy!
    I need to try this pronto..lol.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. push "broil" on the oven and put whatever you are broiling in. :) i usually broil frozen pizzas for the last 2 minutes on the low broil setting (my oven has a hi and a low broil setting) so the pepperoni gets nice and crispy. i am going to try to post my second to none spaghetti bolognese recipe today, so watch for it! SS can leave out the onions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jezebel J - where is your blog!? It says on your profile you are simulpublishing on blogger and myspace, but I don't see your blogger!??

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so good when you made it for us! I'm glad to see the post because it reminded me to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! that looks delicious. i love to make easy, cheap, creative sides when we have spaghetti. so this will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made them myself.........and they were amazing!! I am a great cook! but I will still make you make them for me!! lets plan an apron sewing party!! Miss you friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...