|Home|
  • |About Me|
  • |Blog Designs|

Tuesday, February 24

Running Club

I had no idea there was a such thing as a running club until the other day. Chesley and her roommate were leaving their school's gym last Tuesday and ran into this guy who told them about it. They could see the running club taking place as they walked into the gym. Chesley decided that she wanted to go back the next week. I thought it sounded like it could be fun so I decided to go. Monday night I went to Target and bought a cheap digital watch. A watch is necessary for the running club, because everything is done based on times and keeping your pace.
So, tonight at 6 pm Chesley, two of her friends from her masters program, and I showed up at the outdoor track at their school. There were 50ish plus people there. The four of us had never been to anything like this before. We did some group stretching and then they divided us up into groups. 1 through 6. 6 being the slowest group. The 4 of us put ourselves in the 6th group.
I guess every week they have a different running workout for you to do. We ran (8) 400's. (A 400 equals a lap around the track.) After each 400 you walked half a lap. All the other groups had to run 12 laps, but since group 6 mostly consisted of beginners we only did 8 which is 2 miles. They also set a pace for you. So group 6 was at around a 9 minute mile pace.
As they are giving us our instructions I am thinking to myself that I won't be able to finish 8 laps but thats okay, I will just do as much as I can. I ran cross country and track in high school. I knew I wasn't in that kind of shape so I was just happy that I showed up for this. I workout on average twice a week. I do some Turbo Jam videos and walk/run on my treadmill while watching tv. I only run during commercials. So I was pretty sure that I would not be able to run 8 laps.
Well I did it!! I ran all 8 laps!!! This is a huge deal for me. I haven't ran that much in so long. And more importantly I haven't enjoyed it like that since high school. Every once in a while I catch myself missing workouts with a team, being in shape, and that feeling of accomplishment after a great workout. (You don't get that feeling when you only run during commerical breaks!)
I called my dad afterward to tell him what I had just done. My pace for the 400 was 2:10 - 2:15. He just laughed at those times, because I was running the 800 below that in hs. I wish he lived near me because he would love participating in something like this. There were people much older than him out there.
I can't wait until next week! Its so nice to go with friends. Even though none of us run at the same pace it is still nice to go and know people. I am going to have to go shoe shopping this weekend. I am running in the same pair I wore my senior year of high school (I've been out of HS for 7 years). I'm just really picky about my running shoes and it takes me forever to break them in. I know they have way too many miles on them, but they are just so comfy. I guess its time to trade them in...
Photobucket

20 comments:

  1. Yay!!! That is so awesome!!! Good for you!!

    And good luck with the shoes!! You totally need new ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! that sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds incredible! I wish there was something like that around here. I look forward to more posts about how you're becoming a renewed track star!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome girl!! Thats sounds like fun being part of a team...keeps you motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only run if something is chasing me, or if I am chasing something. That is why you are a cute little skinny thing, and I am...um... not.

    :)

    I'm glad you found the club. It's a good feeling to find something that fits you like that - round peg, round hole!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go girl. I am pretty sure I would die after 1 lap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Job! We have running clubs around here i did not know it though until i saw a herd of young adults running around town. It is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so good! I have ALWAYS wished that I was a runner. Alas, I am not. I should do something about this jiggle, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. congratulations! that is so exciting! i would have died after one lap :) so glad you found something you love doing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Run, Lindsey, RUN! I'm proud of you for running. I can't run distances to save my life. And 8 times around the track? Yeah. Right. Go Lindsey...it's your birthday....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah! How fun and motivating! That sounds like fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like fun!!! And good accountability! And I know what you mean about the shoe thing. I finally got a new pair about 3 years ago because I had been using the same pair since my Sophomore year of high school. I probably need to get another new pair. The only problem is when I get a new pair they look to nice to run in, I don't want to dirty them up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Honey you need to buy you some running shoes!!!! I wouldn't be able to run that now, but it helps with others pushing you along. Running club...what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lindsey,
    That is awesome. I thought about joining a running club in college, but thought they always ran too far for my taste. I also ran track and cross country and high school and miss the competitiveness of it. I wish our small town had something like that. I might actually get whipped back into shape. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Good job!!

    I did cross country in the fall so throughout the rest of the year (since cross country season is over with) I do this running club in my area. Actully my mom leads it - its pretty fun but some workouts are really tiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is great! I love to run and would be more motivated to do it if there were a group to do it with. Good job! Good shoes are way important!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG! i consider a 9 minute mile to be fairly speedy. my normal pace is 11 - 12 minutes, depending on how far i run. i am truly a jogger rather than a runner!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great way to get back into running! I need to get motivated.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! They make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...